8.09.2009

my movie post

So I caught up with one of my friends the other day who is a big movie buff--enjoys a lot of the same movies I do--and it made me realize how completely disappointed I am in myself for falling off the flick front.

My free time (haha) has been dedicated to everything else BUT movies lately, and with a 2 year old, I really never have two hours with absolutely nothing to do. That being said, I am proclaiming that by the end of the 2009 I will be caught up on the movie scene.

On the quest to get back my movie mojo, I ran into my first problem today: Redbox. I have completely changed my opinion of this machine. Melissa and I were big proponents and early adopters of Redbox, we love the ease and affordability. They've started rolling out BluRay Redboxes at the same price in select locations and I was pumped for the day I saw one around here. Early on, it seemed Redbox got most of the new releases about the same time as Blockbuster. Not lately. The last two times I've been there the machine has been full of junk I wouldn't even pay $1.07 (with tax) to see. We looked for three different mainstream movies that have been out on DVD for nearly a year and none were available. Lame. Considering my other options.

So, at the risk of being berated with thousands upon thousands of readers yelling "You haven't seen that!?," I'm going to use this blog post as my LIST--the following are all the movies I'm going to see, either on DVD or at the theater, by the end of the year (in no particular order). I'll revisit this post, cross them off as I go, and maybe even offer a short review in the comments section.

  • Slumdog
  • The Wrestler
  • The Reader
  • Revolutionary Road
  • Gran Torino
  • Funny People
  • Hangover
  • Inglourious Basterds
  • Grindhouse
  • Sunshine Cleaning
  • I Love You, Man
  • Notorious

Let me know your recommendations on how I should prioritize!

Oh, and one really sweet random movie trivia fact: In Pulp Fiction, Tarantino originally wanted Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love to play Lance and Jody (the druggies to whom Mia was taken after she overdosed). This according to the equally sweet Pulp Fiction trivia page at imdb.com.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jason,

    I'm a reporter covering the kiosk industry, and I'm working on a story about redbox's usability issues as we speak. Would you be interested in a short interview this week? If so, please e-mail me at carolinec@networldalliance.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't bother with Revolutionary Road. Or at least, throw it at the bottom of the list: The acting is good but the storyline is depressing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inglourious Basterds was good, but definitely not Tarantino's best. I am a big fan of his entire body of work, and I'd rank this one somewhere in the middle. The Bills, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction ... these were all over the top but somewhat believable. Basterds poked too much fun and became silly at times. In the Bills, you could side with Uma Thurman and her badass persona felt comfortable. In Basterds, Brad Pitt was more of a jokester than a badass. There were some great dialogue scenes, which Tarantino is famous for. Thankfully they didn't involve Pitt and his terrible backwoods accent.

    ReplyDelete