3.05.2010

pros and cons at new CLE establishment

I wanted to love Caddy Shack Lounge. I really did.

The new golf-centered drinking establishment that opened last week between Prospect and Euclid downtown Cleveland had so much going for it. It's opening in the middle of a "revitalize Cleveland" movement. The recession is in the past and Clevelanders have a deep craving for sunshine, summer and positivity. I assumed it would rival Corner Alley, except built around a golf theme instead of a bowling theme.

And the space was really cool. At first glance, I thought it was going to be the next "place to be." In reality, it had its pros and cons. Unfortunately the Caddy Shack Lounge won't get a mulligan.

Pros:
-- Great space. Roomy, high ceilings, plenty of seating, plenty of HDTVs.
-- Indoor golf. Unless you've been to Classic Fairways in Hudson, you haven't seen this before.

Cons:
-- Service. We'll get into this later, but shouldn't good service be your No. 1 priority?
-- Beer selection. Could you be less creative with your selection of beers on tap? (Bud Light, Miller Lite, Labatt Blue, Smithwick's, Sam Adams, Guinness)
-- Price. Nothing is cheap: not beer, not food, not golf.
-- Happy Hour. Miller Lite and Bud Light are $2 for a pint. The other drafts are $1 off (Smithwicks is $4.50). Bleh.

Build a service culture
I worked in the restaurant industry for eight years and now I write extensively about the hotel industry--both service cultures--so I recognize good and bad service when I see it (almost to a fault). So I'm not talking from nowhere when I constantly remind businesses: make service your first priority.

Forget how pretty your place looks. Forget the menu. Forget the pricing. Before you build a wall, build a service culture. Hire a staff and train them on the menu, the point-of-sale system and the customer service for a month before your establishment opens.

I have no clue what our bartender's name was; she had no clue about anything. She couldn't change the channel on the TV, she didn't recommend any particular drink, she had no clue when Happy Hour started or what Happy Hour prices were.

In fact, when another guest asked her whether they carried Coke or Pepsi products, she said "cola." She didn't know.

There were about seven people in the bar when I got there. By the time I left, there might have been 25. Once business picked up, the bartenders lost control. My glass sat empty for more than five minutes. And once she pulled it from the bar, she performed the ultimate restaurant/bar no-no: grabbed the glass from the rim, with her finger tips going inside the glass itself.

Happy Hour brings business
Rule No. 2: Establish a Happy Hour. Nobody dislikes free stuff. The next best thing to free is a deal. Make people feel like they are getting a deal--especially during Happy Hour. Across the street at Forti's you can get a multitude of beers for $2. Next to Forti's, at RJ Bolands, you can get quality craft beers for $3.

I know how much beer costs in a keg. I know you can get about 140 pints from a keg. If you sell it for $3 a pint for three hours a day during the week, and regular price the rest of the time, you are still going to make a killing.

Happy Hours build business. They get people in after work, especially in a downtown environment. If your establishment is cool and aesthetically pleasing but doesn't give me a deal, I'm going to go somewhere that does.

3 comments:

  1. i had a great time at the caddyshack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the posting date it sounds like you were there the first week it opened. It takes a few days to get the flow of a new place all worked out. I was just there last night (which might have been their first Saturday night?) and our server was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear, guys. Maybe I just caught them on an off night. I'd love to see Caddy Shack thrive.

    ReplyDelete